Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fan or Fanatic?

Ok, so I have to admit, I'm an iPhone fanatic. Now, mind you, I wouldn't have admitted this last week, if you had asked me on Wednesday or even Thursday morning. I would have told you that I like iPhones, I may even have admitted that I loved them, and probably also would have admitted that I was a fan of iPhones, but I would have definitely argued having been labeled an iPhone fanatic. So why the change from last week to this week?
It all started when I saw the upcoming features and release date for the new iPhone4. Being due for an upgrade, I decided to sell my iPhone 3G and see if I could subsidize the hefty $200-300 price tag. On June 15, after believing I had pre-ordered my iPhone 4, I happily placed an ad on craigslist to see what I could get for my iPhone. It was sold by the following morning. I got $200 for it. Since I only paid $99 for it originally, I actually made money on my iPhone. Nice. I never had a phone be a good investment before. Apparently the guy who bought it was planning on jailbreaking it to use on another network, so I hope it works out for him.
So, having pre-ordered my iPhone4, and having sold my old iPhone to pay for my new one, I thought I was all set. I would just have to pick up my new phone the following Thursday.
A couple of days later, I heard news reports of all the glitches the pre-order system had, so I called in to make sure I was all set. Unfortunately, I got the bad news: my pre-order hadn't gone through. If I wanted an iPhone before mid-July, I'd have to wait in line to see if I could snag a phone. So began the longest day of my life.
Thursday morning, I arrived at the store at 4:30am, dismayed to find 250 people ahead of me in the non-preorder line. (Luckily for him, Teddy was in San Diego that night, otherwise I would have dragged him along with me!) The store opened at 7am and by 9am people from our line were getting let through. 3-4 every half hour, and I had 250 people in front of me, so you do the math. Because we were moving up every half hour or so, (3-5 ft and a time) it kept you thinking that the line was going to break through at any point. At 11am, the people in line around me and I were sure we'd be out by 2pm. I kept thinking, I can stay till then, but only until then. At 1:30, when I finally realized 2pm was never going to happen, we were calculating 5pm. I thought, "Ok, 5pm but that's it. I've come this far, why give up now? But I'll definitely have to leave by 5:30 so I can make it to class." Right. By 6pm, and still no phone, and about 15 ft. from the Apple Store entrance, I had to make the tough decision to- skip class. Those last 15 ft. took another 2 1/2 hours, when I finally made it inside the store. 16 hours of waiting in line, and I was now the weary, slightly bitter, but proud iPhone4 owner.
There can be no doubt in anyone's mind including my own; I am an iPhone fanatic.
Honestly though? I'm pretty sure it's going to take me about 2 years to want to try that again.

2 comments:

Sara said...

What did you do for water, food, potty???? And your feet? Did you sit down?
I would have died. Or hurt someone.Or yelled at someone. Or broke something. Or just cried.
Or all the above, but not in that order.
I'm glad you survived that ordeal, and let's hope that iphone doesn't come out with a newer one anytime soon:) Susan, you're so patient. Seriously. 16 HOURS... You're crazy:)
Does your teacher know why you skipped class?

Susan Knapp said...

It was in an outdoor mall, so bathrooms were just a block away and there was a food court we could eat at. Also, Apple employees were passing out food and water all day...but trust me I could have cried a couple of times if I'd let myself, and I was pretty angry! ;) Lol, no my teacher doesn't know why I skipped class, but I was able to make it up thankfully =)